Monday, March 28, 2011

Love is Patient


1 Corinthians 13:4-8


Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast. It is not proud. It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps records of no wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, and always perseveres.

Love never fails. But where there are prophecies, they will cease; where there are tongues, they will be stilled; where there is knowledge, it will pass.



This is one of my favorite verses in the Bible. And for good reason. Its beautiful. I havent always been a Christian. Growing up, I never went to church. It wasnt until I was in high school that I went, and that was not very often. So I dont know the Bible. Everytime I hear something, its brand new to me. I first heard this verse in a movie. Some sappy love story. A Walk to Remember to be more exact. I love this movie still. But this verse has stuck in my head for years. Its one of very few I can quote.


Ive gone through life, and through relationships thinking I know what love is. But, if we're being honest, I dont know what true love is. I have never loved someone with all my heart. I dont know what it is to be in love. Sure. I thought I loved someone. Or 2 people. But now, looking back, and seeing myself with those people, I wasnt in love. Nor were either of those relationships healthy.


So. As you know (assuming you've followed and read my blog up until this point) Ive done a great deal of healing up until now. And this verse has a whole new meaning to me. Ive always looked at it like other people's 'love' was supposed to look this way. I thought because I didnt have a love like that, it just wasnt for me. But now, I can see that this is the way love is supposed to be. For everyone. And to get this kind of love, you have to have this kind of love with God first. And I can only say that because this is where I am. Through everything, Ive never given up on God. Though, sometimes I doubt Him, and He tests me even more.

Sometimes, I get lonely. Thank goodness Ive been so busy lately to forget how lonely I do get. But I do sometimes wonder why I am having todo everything on my own. Not that I need someone, but life might not be so hard if I wasnt doing it alone. I dont know. I read this verse, and still believe that someday I will have a love just like that. Its this whole waiting part that gets to me sometimes. Love is patient though right? :)

No comments:

Post a Comment