Saturday, May 1, 2010

That deserves a gold star

Yesterday, someone that I hadnt seen in a while, greeted me with "Glad to see you made it almost a year" and gave me a pat on the back....

It took me a minute to figure out why I was getting praised. Its been almost a year since I have embraced the term "single mom". I dont think about it that much. I had to kind of laugh at the pat on the back....Im not sure it warrants something that ranks up there with a congrats on learning to tie your shoes, but I guess Ill take it.
For some reason, it seems WAY longer than a year since everything happened. Thats probably a good thing though. I remember feeling like I was drowning at the time. My whole life had been turned upside down. The only life my kids had known was being taken from them. It was hard to see the bigger picture then. And know that everything would eventually get better. I think it was about 3 months in to our "new life", that it finally felt real. I hate to say that I held on to things for that long, but I did. There was just a day when I woke up, and it was ok. Just like everyone said would happen. Since then, me and the girls have survived 4th of July, birthdays, Halloween, Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Years, Valentines Day, Easter, and we've almost made it Mothers Day. All 3 of us seem to doing just fine with the way things are :) If you wouldve asked me 9 months ago if I thought we would be doing so well, my answer wouldve been no. Im glad Im not still stuck in that mind frame. So, maybe all that does deserve a pat on the back afterall.

A Fine Frenzy
"Almost Lover"

Goodbye, my almost lover
Goodbye, my hopeless dream
Im trying not to think about you
Cant you just let me be
So long my luckless romance
My back is turned on you
Shouldve known youd bring me heartache
Almost lovers always do

No comments:

Post a Comment